Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Hands-On Sculpture

I've been busy on other projects lately (pics to come), but thought I'd give an update on the sculpture I've been crafting which will depict Marines in Belleau Wood.

I've been forming the hands, as you know, using wax and wire, and have developed them further, so that they are beginning to be able to hold the rifles...

Starting with hands made using a basic template
Molding the fingers and giving gentle curve to the hands, to begin a grasping shape...
The trigger finger becoming more developed...

Fitting the hand to the stock

Left hand soon to hold the weapon!

Soon, I'll refine the hands-- fleshing out the fingers and defining the knuckles & joints. Once the hand postures are definite and properly matched to the figures, I'll join them solidly to the rifles. After that they'll be cast with the rifles as one piece, and then welded on to the bronze figures, which will be cast separately.



Fix Bayonets!

I also began the Model 1905 bayonets, having traced one out on a piece of basswood, from a template I made to 1/4 scale:

template with dimensions
If the basswood carving doesn't prove to be strong enough (the blade will only be 1/16 " thick), I was shown a way to actually shape the bayonet out of a piece of brass, using a high-speed sander(!).  I can't wait to find out-- either method promises to be interesting. I'll take a stab at it, regardless...

I fancy myself on the cutting edge of bayonet sculpting...

No comments: