Friday, August 20, 2010

Fleshing it Out

It's been too long since I've posted--  computer issues as well as Operational Tempo have conspired to keep me away from the blog.

I've been a busy beaver lately, with Mountain Warfare Training Center in June and Sergeants' Course in July, and now the rifle range in August.

But the computer issues have been solved, and now I have access to the use of Blogger and a photo card.

I've been trying to finish a lot of  projects, as my remaining time in the Corps is in flux (orders and promotions issues). So much to do, so little time!

One project I started months ago, you may remember, was the sculpture of two Belleau Wood Marines-- I'd finished the armatures in wire, and brought the rifles to a moderate level of finish.

This week I was able to begin to "flesh out" the armatures, or rather I should say "bone out" the armatures, to begin the basic Ecorche process of developing the figures from skeleton to flesh and bone to clothing...

Here are the basic armatures I began with:

and the rifles and hands:
And here are the two armatures which will one day become Marines in the fight at Belleau Wood:
The Marine Leaping Forward in the attack

And the second figure, firing to cover his fellow Marine moving forward:
AND NOW, the WEAPONS! (Springfield 1903s-- they'll also have M1905 bayonets)
Bear with me-- I know they look like something out of Jason and the Argonauts, but soon they'll be muscled and fleshed out and in their proper combat uniforms...
STAY TUNED...

1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

Oh, I am so behind in commenting. This sculpture looks great. Love that you are doing that and seems you are enjoying it. Cool.