Today I finished constructing the basic shape of the armature which will hold the "mountainside" under the Marine and mule figures.
I had started a few days ago on the slope, using wood and nails to block it out:
Then I used wire screen and staples to make the form upon which the sculpting wax would be applied:
Finally, I applied melted wax to the screen and thus fleshed out the armature mountainside.
Next, I will add some girth to the base of the armature, so that the final cast bronze will not be top-heavy with mule... but I want to make sure it's not too heavy-looking and that the base has an uplift and a lightness to it. This may be a stubborn task-- perhaps just as stubborn as the subject itself!
I am a fine artist and illustrator in the Classical Realist school, inspired by the masters of art history as I sketch and paint the world around me.
Recently I served as a Combat Artist in the US Marine Corps, from September 2006 till March 2014.
Though now once again in civilian garb, I continue to endeavor to uphold the traditions and standards of Marine Combat Art. The uniform may have changed, but the artist's fight remains the same.
"The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.”
― Steven Pressfield