Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Haiti-- one year ago today, the earth shook

I can't believe it's been a year since the devastating earthquake that shook Haiti, physically and emotionally...

I was deployed there back in February, to assist the humanitarian assistance activities of the 22nd MEU in Operation Unified Response.

I sketched, watercolored, and  photographed my way around the affected area, documenting the activities of the Marines as they helped the people (I also helped interpret on occasion, as I once lived there for two years as a missionary and learned Creole)...

I've been working on an oil painting which features the activities at a rice Distribution Point near Carrefour.
The painting in still in process, and much of it is still in the blocking-in phase, but you can still get a sense of the color and composition, as well as the important human element and narrative in the image:
A sea of humanity, a sea of emotions...




Update 1/13/11:
While we're remembering Haiti-- Here's an small painting I did last year, based on experience in Haiti with the people.... Here, a Haitian boy watches us as we provide security at the Rice Distribution Point:
 A detail of the work:

No comments: