Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Another Oil Sketch!


This is the latest in oil sketches and portrait studies I've done, and I'm pleased with it, as this one was done Alla Prima, sometimes called Au Premier Coup-- that is, in one setting, in one layer of paint.

It was done from a sketch I did and a set of photos I took when I was in a small Iraqi town called Anah. The 4th Civil Affairs Group was conducting a CMOC, and the Iraqi people were coming in, and the Iraqi Police and Army were doing security along with the Marines.

I saw this Jundi/IP sitting on a bench, and I talked with him (brokenly) and sketched him in pencil, just before he had to leave on a patrol. I took some photos of him, too, and decided recently to do an oil portrait of him.

The above is the result-- it's not a highly finished oil portrait, but I feel that it came out really well as an Alla Prima work, which was creatively "therapeutic" for me. I am moving more toward this kind of direct painting, because when done right, the paintings have freshness that more classically finished paintings sometimes lack (and you get more of them done in less time!).

12 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Very nice! The Alla Prima seems to work very well for you. There is just something about knocking out a painting in one setting that makes you feel good.

Jo Castillo said...

Great job on this. Looks like working quickly is really working for you.

Jo

Anonymous said...

You are very good!! It looks like a picture taken by a camera! Keep up the good work.

Beverly said...

I love your work, Kris. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Brother, your gift is evident. Don't stop. But most of all, Thank You for Being a Marine. (which means realizing the value of our great nation in the most valuable way)
EZ

Anita said...

Such a pleasure seeing your work. Incredible talent!
Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Please allow me to bigin by saying thank you for your service and many sacrifices on hehalf of our freedom, sir.

Your works, I feel convey to the viewer a moving realism which can't be painted by anyone who hasn't served in a combat zone.

OPFOR helped one Canadian civilian to discover a most worthwhile site.

Veritas et Fidelis Semper

Anonymous said...

Please excuse the error. Should read "begin".

Veritas et Fidelis Semper

GrammaB said...

WOW! Remember me?? Don't even know if you check your blog comments, but I looked up your name to find your website and ended up at the video site and then here.
Thanks for serving our country and our God.
Praying - Ruth (met in Haiti)

Mike Sears said...

Sgt Battles,

Found your blog today after reading LtCol Piedmonts, I see a lot of familier things as I sit here now in Fallujah. I also see similier things as I have made my way throughout the Al Anbar Province. Your doing great work that is truly inspiring.

CWO4 Sears
Field Historian
II MEF FWD

Anonymous said...

Please let Mike Fay know that his blog no longer works.

Love your work. Semper Fi.

Mike Wood

Anonymous said...

Pleasure meeting you in Doylestown.

Welcome back home, thanks for the autograph and keep up the good work.